Writing, Climate and the Living World Residential

So... last weekend I attended a residential at the Black Mountains College entitled 'Writing, Climate and the Living World', centred around the Climate and Ecological Emergency. I am so grateful to have been supported by LitWales so I could attend.

Course tutors Tom Bullough and Jay Griffiths were so warm, welcoming and knowledgable.  From the moment we arrived to when we left, they gave us their full time and commitment.  I have learnt so much from them in such a short space, including practical writing advice and heartfelt thoughts and information about the CEE.  Pascale Petit was so giving and gentle, but with passion to her core.  She helped me understand how trauma can be written with distance and with nature at the centre.

The other participants were also wonderful.  From various backgrounds and writing experiences, we quickly gelled.  I have learnt so much from them all, including the reverence of tiger souls and Shamanic traditions, to personal impacts of flooding, to coppicing and land management.  
The location was exactly what was needed for the course.  In nature, at times a little uncomfortable (in a good way!) it really heightened the emotions.  Imagine listening to Tom, Jay and Pascale read in the dark by candlelight next to a crackling wood fire.  Inspirational. Wow wow wow! 
I also benefited so much from the one to one sessions, and am excited to move on with my writing in the future.  I was able to consider and develop ideas for my next module in Uni which is 'Long Fiction'.  Tom helped me understand the importance of character and motivation, and what is the story is really about.  
I spoke with Jay about an idea that I have had for a while but needed fleshing out.  She helped me to consider the thread and what the driving force behind it is, and I was able to streamline my idea with the potential reader in mind.  She reiterated how important the inclusion of human emotion is within a text in order for the reader to relate and feel.  

I have taken so much from this weekend, and I hope that I was able to give something of myself for other people to take away.  It was energising to be writing and experiencing the course alongside participants who are more established than myself, and hearing about their future plans and impacts.  It has fuelled my desire to write, and write with the CEE fully in mind in order to educate, inspire and move to action.  It is such a vital conversation and needs to gain momentum.  

Popular posts from this blog

I have been nominated for the Pushcart Prize!

Writing about my garden for Studio Cennen

I am a Nigel Jenkins Award Winner 2023!