My trip to Ynys Enlli


Last week I spent five days on the absolutely beautiful Ynys Enlli / Bardsey Island (it was originally going to be seven, but sea swells, currents and winds reminded us of who really is in charge!) The weather continued to be changeable throughout which added to the experience, and, during a particularly rainy afternoon, I discovered the northern bird hide and hunkered happily in there for a while.  The wildlife was sublime.  From birds to seals, lichen to wildflowers, Enlli delivered, and I will never forget the haunting calls of the Manx shearwaters as they arrived back to the island under a blanket of dark.  My friend Mel and I stood outside late at night to listen, then went back to bed, our windows flung open and our curtains wide so the calls could filter our dreams.  I was told that once you've been to Enlli, you never really leave.  I now understand what that means.  

Popular posts from this blog

I have been nominated for the Pushcart Prize!

Writing about my garden for Studio Cennen

I am a Nigel Jenkins Award Winner 2023!